AND THE BITS FLEW FAR AND WIDE... 31st December 2009
• For all you comic book heads out there - check out a single page comic inspired by DAVID BOWIE's 'Starman' created by SYDNEY MOORE - [View here]...
• Be sure to check out the photographs from the 2009 BOWIE BALL that took place on 5th December at Le Poisson Rouge in New York City. Produced/created by Deryck Todd. Photos by Maro Hagopian - View here]...
•NEIL McCORMICK of the DAILY TELEGRAPH picks out ten of the greatest moments on the electric guitar with his top ten guitar solos. See who he names in top spot. Clue 'a sci-fi blowout sent spinning into outer space' - [Read here]...
A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! 25th December 2009
WISHING EVERYONE EVERYWHERE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS
Have a Cool Yule! I hope you all receive everything you ever wish for
Very Best Wishes from Paul aka Rednik
AS THE WORLD FALLS DOWN BALL 21st December 2009
The Lifelong AIDS Alliance are hosting a benefit masquerade ball with a DAVID BOWIE theme in Seattle, WA, USA on New Year's Eve.
'As The World Falls Down', a Labyrinth masquerade ball and benefit, takes place at Odd Fellows West Hall for a Capitol Hill countdown and celebration of the year behind and the future ahead.
Location: Oddfellows Hall, 915 E Pine Street, Seattle, WA 98122.
Experience a dazzling world of fantasy and adventure 31st December 2009, from 8pm-2am on the fourth floor of Oddfellows Hall Featuring installations, puppets, art, open bar, food by Skillet and dance magic from a whole host of performers:
$125 ticket price includes admission, full open bar, food by Skillet, and a feast of visual spectacles all in support of the AIDS Alliance.
*Attire is strictly masquerade or Labyrinth costume.* *Tickets are not available at the door.* NOTE: No one under 21 years old will be admitted.
ZIGGY'S ROYAL STAMP OF APPROVAL 20th December 2009
DAVID BOWIE's 1972 album masterpiece 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars' is one of ten album covers that are featured in the 'Design Classics: Classic Album Covers' stamp series to be issued by The Royal Mail.
Released next month on 7th January the 10 self-adhesive 1st class stamps, with an unusual off-square design, also includes Blur: Parklife, The Clash: London Calling, Coldplay: A Rush Of Blood To The Head, Led Zeppelin: IV, New Order: Power, Corruption and Lies, Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells, Pink Floyd: The Division Bell, Primal Scream: Screamadelica and The Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed.
The full line of collectors items available for this series includes:
Stamp Set = £3.90 Souvenir Sheet = £3.90 Souvenir Sheet Cover = £5.50 First Day Cover (UK addresses) = £5.06 First Day Cover (for non-UK addresses) = £4.31 Prestige Stamp Book First Day Cover = £4.14 Presentation Pack = £4.40 Stamp Cards = £4.00 Stamp Strips = £1.95
The stamps and the various collectibles are now all ready to pre-order. How often to do you get the chance to lick the back of db's head? Pop on over to royalmail.com and check out what's available.
THE JEAN GENIE 19th December 2009
Jeans maker J BRAND has teamed up with fashion designer HENRY DUARTE to create a new range of rock n' roll jeans.
Henry has designed three styles - two of these - The Ziggy ($209) and The Suffragette ($284) - pay homage to his musical hero DAVID BOWIE.
The denims use Duarte's handcrafted zipper pulls and lace-up front, respectively. Duarte says the exposed zippers in the Ziggy black stretch-denim jean came from watching Bowie strut in a similar pair in his 'Jean Genie' video.
"Bowie is the ultimate rock star," he says. "Not only his music, but every album he has had a different look; many artists still try to do that today."
You can read the full article and view photos over at The Los Angeles Times website.
THE SALES BROTHERS: IN THEIR OWN WORDS 18th December 2009
(PR Inside 2009-12-18 13:13:31) - THE SALES BROTHERS have survived a diversity of musical incarnations and invariably collaborated in esteemed company since the inception of their careers. Having initially recorded with Todd Rundgren, they joined Iggy Pop's solo band in 1977, forming the rhythm section for the legendary 'Lust For Life' album, recorded in Hansa Studios by the Berlin Wall.
Over a decade later at the close of 1988, the Sales Brothers helped establish TIN MACHINE with DAVID BOWIE and virtuoso guitarist REEVES GABRELS. Tin Machine proved to be an iconoclastic project genre wise and was a challenging proto-grunge act that confounded the expectations of fans and critics alike.
Despite their formidable musical 'C.V.s the Sales Brothers' retrospective of solo recordings nevertheless remained hidden from the public domain until recently. Their own aptly titled album, 'Hired Guns' was recorded at the close of the 1970's. The project conveys their true musical roots, capturing a quintessentially vibrant form of blue-eyed soul and penetrating R & B, centred on the brothers' natural affinity with the Stax / Volt legacy. The Hired Guns album is doubtless a lost archival treasure, destined for obscurity until Perseverance Records recently took the initiative of producing a quality album package.
In 'Quintessentially Soul Brothers: The Sales Brothers In Their Own Words' author Stephanie Lynne Thorburn offers in-depth interviews with drummer Hunt Sales and bassist Tony Sales. The text features a detailed biographical overview and succinct testimonials from some of the Sales Brothers' colleagues and friends, namely guitarists James Williamson (The Stooges), Reeves Gabrels and Brian Ray.
Extensive discography links and archival photos are included. Foreword by Sales Brothers' longtime engineer/ producer Chas Ferry.
The eBook is augmented with an obituary to Hunt and Tony's father, comedian and TV host Soupy Sales, who sadly died in October '09. A preview document is available for download.
Text copyright Stephanie Lynne Thorburn and The Sales Brothers 2009.
'Quintessentially Soul Brothers: The Sales Brothers In Their Own Words' is now available from True Fire.com arts, under Stephanie Lynne Thorburn's profile.
AND THE BITS FLEW FAR AND WIDE... 15th December 2009
• Inside the Christmas edition of the New Musical Express music mogul SIMON COWELL is interviewed and mentions that he would like to see an X Factor episode in the UK dedicated to DAVID BOWIE. Cowell disagrees that Bowie is 'too sacred to debase'. "I don't follow that," he says. "I donít think you need to get that sniffy about it. At the end of the day it's about making something that's popular, nothing more than that."...
• Pianist MIKE GARSON is to guest appear on the forthcoming album by DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN entitled 'Option Paralysis'. The album is due for release in March 2010...
• Comedian JOHNNY VEGAS has designed a five-foot ceramic SpongeBob Squarepants for ChildLine in association with Nickelodeon. Johnny's piece is modelled on DAVID BOWIE - he's named it 'BowieBob Flirtpants'. It's based on the Ziggy Stardust era. The ceramics will be on display at the Animation Gallery on the South Bank in London and then auctioned off to raise money for ChildLine - [Read here]...
DAVID BRIGHTON FREE HOLIDAY SHOW 14th December 2009
DAVID BRIGHTON and the Space Oddity Band return to Southern California for a Special Free Holiday Show on 26th December.
Space Oddity will be performing a 90 minute, full DAVID BOWIE Tribute production show, featuring material dating from pre-Ziggy through the 90s, with as always, special surprises. We hope to see you there!
Venue: Pala Casino - The Grand Cabaret, 11154 Highway 76, Pala, California 92059, USA at 8pm. PalaCasino / Directions / 1-877-WIN-PALA (1-877-946-7252).
There are a couple of interesting collectors items for 'Pinactics' from the HARD ROCK CAFE Pin Collectors' Club.
#45754 from the Louisville branch in 2008 is Famous Horse #5 - DAVID BOWIE which is a limited edition of 300 and made by manufacturer Pin USA Inc.
A white horse in a multi-coloured Ziggy Stardust striped costume. A glittery feather boa is wrapped around his neck. Estimated value is around $15.
Also from the Boston branch in 2009 is the Fashions of Rock: Glam Rock, again in a limited edition of 300 with twelve pins in the series.
This one is a little confusing. It's obviously based on 'Jareth' from Labyrinth, but when did he ever hold a microphone and be classed as Glam Rock? Hmm doesn't quite make sense.
For more details about the Hard Rock Pin Collectors Club visit hardrock.com
Whilst you're there be sure to check out the Hard Rock Memorabilia section - note you may have to download the Silverlight plug in for your browser to view the items.
SEE MY LIFE IN A COMIC 11th December 2009
Sean T. Collins who formerly worked at Wizard, was introduced to the concept of themed sketchbooks by his co-workers.
Being a huge fan of DAVID BOWIE he decided on persuading various artists to sketch db when he visited various comic expo's.
This sketchbook took shape in 2007 at the MoCCA, and continued at SPX 2007, MoCCA 2008, San Diego 2008, SPX 2008, NYCC 2009, MoCCA 2009, SPX 2009 and BKCGF 2009.
You can view all seventy-nine entries in The Thin White Sketchbook at flickr.com
HUNKY ZIGGY 10th December 2009
Artist TERRY PASTOR who created the artwork for the DAVID BOWIE iconic albums 'Hunky Dory' and 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars' has an exhibition opening in Aberdeen on Saturday 12th December at the Artists Gallery.
At the time of the Ziggy Stardust cover, Terry would meet David Bowie in the West End, Soho or in a pub near his studio. "David would go completely unrecognised," Terry recalls. "But, following the release of Ziggy Stardust he became a mega-star and would get mobbed if he appeared anywhere in public."
The exhibition opens to the public on 12th December and runs through until 30th January. Open Monday to Saturday from 10am to 5pm and in the run up to Christmas, Sunday 12 noon to 4pm.
DAVID BOWIE's 'A Reality Tour' Live 2 CD set is scheduled for release next month on 25th January 2010 from Sony Music and the following day in the USA via Sony Legacy.
This thirty-three song 2 CD document of his 'A Reality' World Tour recorded at The Point in Dublin, Ireland on 22nd/23rd November 2003, includes three previously unreleased tracks: 'Fall Dog Bombs The Moon', 'Breaking Glass' and 'China Girl'.
The full tracklisting runs as follows:
DISC: 1 01. Rebel, Rebel 02. New Killer Star 03. Reality 04. Fame 05. Cactus 06. Sister Midnight 07. Afraid 08. All The Young Dudes 09. Be My Wife 10. The Loneliest Guy 11. The Man Who Sold The World 12. Fantastic Voyage 13. Hallo Spaceboy 14. Sunday 15. Under Pressure 16. Life On Mars? 17. Battle For Britain (The Letter)
DISC: 2 01. Ashes To Ashes 02. The Motel 03. Loving The Alien 04. Never Get Old 05. Changes 06. I'm Afraid Of Americans 07. "Heroes" 08. Bring Me The Disco King 09. Slip Away 10. Heaven (The Rays) 11. Five Years 12. Hang On To Yourself 13. Ziggy Stardust 14. Fall Dog Bombs The Moon 15. Breaking Glass 16. China Girl
Last night at the 12th British Independent Film Awards (BIFAs) 'Moon' directed by DUNCAN JONES won the 'Best British Independent Film' and Duncan was also awarded 'The Douglas Hickox Award' for Best Debut Director.
At the ceremony held on Sunday evening at The Brewery, Chiswell Street in London, the awards were presented to Moon producer Stuart Fenegan, as Duncan is currently working on his next movie 'Source Code' in Los Angeles.
THE DERAM ALBUM DELUXE EDITION BOX SET 3rd December 2009
All set for release next month is DAVID BOWIEThe Deram Album Deluxe Edition Boxset which houses a double CD set with fifty-three tracks, along with twenty-six appearing on CD for the first time.
Stunningly remastered by Peter Mew and Tris Penna at Abbey Road Studios from the original master tapes, CD 1 contains the original stereo and mono album mixes (first time on CD for the mono mix).
More importantly the CD 2 includes the singles, unreleased stereo mixes, the legendary unreleased single 'London Bye Ta-Ta' and five tracks recorded in 1967 for John Peel's Top Gear radio show.
Comes with sleeve notes by Tris Penna and Kevin Cann.
Scheduled for 25th January 2010 release by Decca - Pop, check out the full tracklisting below:
01. Uncle Arthur 02. Sell Me A Coat 03. Rubber Band 04. Love You Till Tuesday 05. There Is A Happy Land 06. We Are Hungry Men 07. When I Live My Dream 08. Little Bombardier 09. Silly Boy Blue 10. Come And Buy My Toys 11. Join The Gang 12. She's Got Medals 13. Maid Of Bond Street 14. Please Mr. Gravedigger 15. Uncle Arthur 16. Sell Me A Coat 17. Rubber Band 18. Love You Till Tuesday 19. There Is A Happy Land 20. We Are Hungry Men 21. When I Live My Dream 22. Little Bombardier 23. Silly Boy Blue 24. Come And Buy My Toys 25. Join The Gang 26. She's Got Medals 27. Maid Of Bond Street 28. Please Mr. Gravedigger
DISC TWO: (Mono unless shown *Stereo)
01. Rubber Band 2:03 (Single Version) First release 2 December 1966 Deram DM 107 Recorded at RG Jones Studio, Morden, 18 October 1966
02. The London Boys 3:19 First release 2 December 1966 Deram DM 107 Recorded at RG Jones Studio, Morden, 18 October 1966
03. The Laughing Gnome 2:55 First release 14 April 1967 Deram DM 123 Recorded at Decca No 2 Studio, London, 26 January, 7 & 10 February 1967
04. The Gospel According To Tony Day 2:46 First release 14 April 1967 Deram DM 123 Recorded at Decca No 2 Studio, London, 26 January, 7 February 1967
05. Love You Till Tuesday 2:59 (Single Version) First release 14 July 1967 Deram DM 135 Recorded at Decca No 3 Studio, London, 3 June 1967
06. Did You Ever Have A Dream 2:08 First release 14 July 1967 Deram DM 135 Recorded at Decca No 2 Studio, London, 24 November 1966
07. When I Live My Dream 3:51 (Single Version) First release 13 May 1984 Deram BOWIE1 Recorded at Decca No 3 Studio, London, 3 June 1967
08. Let Me Sleep Beside You 3:24 First release 6 March 1970 Decca PA 58 Recorded at Advision Sound Studios, London, 1 September 1967
09. Karma Man 3:08 First release 6 March 1970 Decca PA 58 Recorded at Advision Sound Studios, London, 1 September 1967
10. London Bye Ta-Ta 2:35 Previously unreleased Recorded at Decca No 2 Studio, London, 12 March 1968
11. In The Heat Of The Morning 2:45 Previously unreleased mono vocal version Recorded at Decca No 2 Studio, London, 12 March 1968
12. The Laughing Gnome * 3:03 Previously unreleased stereo mix Recorded at Decca No 2 Studio, 26 January, 7 & 10 February 1967 Stereo mix by Peter Mew and Tris Penna at Abbey Road Studios, London, 30 July 2009
13. The Gospel According To Tony Day * 2:50 Previously unreleased stereo mix Recorded at Decca No 2 Studio, 26 January, 7 February 1967 Stereo mix by Peter Mew and Tris Penna at Abbey Road Studios, London, 30 July 2009 14. Did You Ever Have A Dream * 3:45 Previously unreleased stereo mix Recorded at Decca No 2 Studio, London, 24 November 1966
15. Let Me Sleep Beside You * 3:29 Previously unreleased stereo mix Recorded at Advision Sound Studios, London, 1 September 1967
16. Karma Man * 3:03 Previously unreleased stereo mix Recorded at Advision Sound Studios, London,1 September 1967
17. In The Heat Of The Morning * 2:45 First release 6 March 1970 Decca SPA 58 Recorded at Decca No 2 Studio, London, 12 March, 10 & 18 April 1968
18. When I'm Five 3:03 First release 13 May 1984 Deram BOWIE1 Recorded Piccadilly No 1 Studio, London, 13 May 1968
19. Ching-A-Ling * 2:52 Previously unreleased stereo mix Recorded at Trident Studios, London, 24 October, 27 November 1968
20. Sell Me A Coat 2:53 (Remix) First release 13 May 1984 Deram BOWIE1 Recorded at Decca No 2 Studio, London, 8 December 1966; Trident Studios, London, 25 January 1969 (vocal overdubs)
21. Love You Till Tuesday 3:11 BBC Radio One Top Gear session recording Previously unreleased Recorded Piccadilly No 1 Studio, London, 18 December 1967
22. When I Live My Dream 3:38 BBC Radio One Top Gear session recording Previously unreleased Recorded Piccadilly No 1 Studio, London, 18 December 1967
23. Little Bombardier 3:30 BBC Radio One Top Gear session recording Previously unreleased Recorded Piccadilly No 1 Studio, London, 18 December 1967
24. Silly Boy Blue 3:28 BBC Radio One Top Gear session recording Previously unreleased Recorded Piccadilly No 1 Studio, London, 18 December 1967
25. In The Heat Of The Morning 2:39 BBC Radio One Top Gear session recording Previously unreleased Recorded Piccadilly No 1 Studio, London, 18 December 1967
AND THE BITS FLEW FAR AND WIDE... 1st December 2009
• The London Evening Standard have interviewed DUNCAN JONES in a two-page spread entitled 'How Duncan Jones made it on his own' - [Read here]...
• Ben Todd at The Daily Mail is reporting that DAVID BOWIE is considering performing at Glastonbury in 2010. Please ignore it. As reported on 3rd September on Bowienet, David will NOT be performing at the festival - [Read here]...
• If you still haven't signed the petition to get MICK RONSON inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame please go and SIGN IT - Mick Ronson: Musician, Arranger, Producer, Side Man to DAVID BOWIE, Dylan, Hunter and beyond, inspiration to many, a down to earth, egoless and good ol' Northern boy. PLEASE NOTE: a donation is NOT a requirement to be able to sign this petition...
BOWIE BALL 2009 NYC THIS WEEKEND 1st December 2009
This coming weekend on Saturday 5th December sees the annual BOWIE BALL taking place in New York City.
The ultimate glam rock revolution, celebrating Lodger's 30th Anniversary kicks off at 10:00pm till 4:00am.
There are a whole host of DJs. live performances, fashion presentations, burlesque, late night costume contest, makeovers and lots more.
Venue: (Le) Poisson Rouge. 158 Bleeker Street @ Thompson Street, New York City, USA. Website:lprnyc.com
Check out some photographs from last years event to give you a taster of the event.
ST. PAUL'S GALLERY are a publishing company based in the UK and have produced under license fine art limited edition prints of three of DAVID BOWIE's finest early album covers.
'Hunky Dory', 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars' and 'Aladdin Sane' prints have all been signed by both the original cover artists / designers and David Bowie himself.
They were produced from the original artwork with the involvement of both Henry Wrenn-Meleck and DAVID BOWIE himself, with only 195 prints of each available worldwide.
Hunky Dory Limited Edition Signed Print - Pencil Signed By David Bowie and Terry Pastor Ziggy Stardust Limited Edition Signed Print - Pencil Signed By David Bowie and Terry Pastor Aladdin Sane Limited Edition Signed Print - Pencil Signed By David Bowie and Celia Philo
For more details and information please visit the St Pauls Gallery website to order and view.